Sunday, June 24, 2012

The end of the excursion


 Day Three of the Excursion

The day started at Dachau Concentration Camp. Dachau was the first concentration camp to be built and was used as a model for the other camps that were built. A few of us got to see a short film before we walked around the camp.  It was a very somber experience to walk through the Dachau. I mostly walked around the ground and the exhibit by myself, which was good because I could reflect on what I was seeing and go at my own pace.  The exhibition was interesting and helped convey the past of the camp. It also showed the horrible aspects of how people were treated in concentration camps. Dachau was first used as a camp for political prisoners but as the war went on it was no longer used just for political prisoners. The gas chamber was not used for mass killing like at other camps. Dachau sent the people who could not work or no longer wanted to other camps to be killed. There are many memorials to the many people who died in the camp during the years it was used. I was not able to walk through the whole camp because I did not have enough time. It was strange to walk through a place that I had been taught about in school. Dachau has been preserved as a reminder and as an example so that hopefully history will not repeat itself. 


















Afterwards was the BMW Welt or BMW world by Coop Himmelblau. BMW Welt is by the Olympic Village of 1972.  So we also got to see it as well. The architects that designed the Olympic Village were Frei Otto and Gunter Behnisch. I enjoyed looking at the sport bikes and old motorcycles more than the cars. We got to see a guy go up and down the stairs on his bike, which was cool. The BMW museum was closed so there was little to do but look at cars. After that, we went to see the Olympic Village. It was hard to figure out what we could and could not go into. So all I saw was the pool. We spent the rest of the time sitting in BMW Welt talking.









Our last stop was to Herz-Jesu. The church was done by ASW architects. It is modern take on a church. The church was very different from the churched I know and that we had seen so far. I did not think I would like it but as I walk around the church it grow on me. I would have liked to see what service was like in the church. Then off to the Hotel we went. I watched the two Euro Cup matches then went to sleep.








Day Four of the Excursion

The Fuggerei Township was our first stop of the day. It is the oldest social settlement. We had a short lecture on the township. It cost less than a Euro a year to stay in the settlement today. The gates close at ten every night. Most of the residents that live in the settlement are elderly. To live in the settlement you must be Catholic and in need of assistance. I was surprised that the church was not big and in the center of the complex. It was right by the gate we had entered the complex through. The Church was simple on the outside but was beautifully decorated on the inside. It was interesting to see an idea that had the inside of the apartments. They are simple and small but have everything you need to live. They are for a person or a couple. The apartments had old fashion doorbells and some still worked. The settlement was a fascinating to see and a nice place to stretch our legs before a long bus ride. 







The Hohenzollern Castle was our next stop. This was defiantly the coolest part of the day for me even though I was still sick. We had a tour of the castle. Sadly, we could not take pictures of during the first part of the tour. We had to wear slippers so that we would not mess up the floor. It was interesting to hear about the history of not only the castle but the Hohenzollern family as well. Afterwards, we walked around the grounds of the castle. You have a beautiful view of the countryside from the castle.  There was also an exhibit on Fredrick at the castle. I was sad that we could not spend all day wondering the grounds.







Then was the Mercedes Benz Museum in Stuttgart. I am not big into cars but it was still interesting to see the history of the Mercedes Benz Company. I enjoyed the older fashion cars more than I did the newer ones. The audio guide was nice because I could skip what did not interest me or learn more about what did. It took a little while to get how to use the audio guide but once I did it smooth sailing. Once I was done, I went to the gift shop and looked around.  






Day Five of the Excursion

We started with a five-hour drive to Aachen. We stopped in Aachen to see the Treasury at Aachen Cathedral and Aachen Cathedral – Palatine Chapel. The Cathedral was beautiful and bigger than I thought it would be. They have a shrine to Charlemagne and the Mary. The shrine to Charlemagne holds his bones. The one to Mary holds relicts such as Jesus swaddling clothes. We also got to see the throne in Aachen Cathedral. It was interesting to hear about the church history not only historically but architecturally as well. The Treasury was interesting to see. We had booklets that told use about pieces that were in the collection. It was hard to see and read about objects in the collection so I simple just did what caught my eye. Aachen was very cool and I wish we could have explored the city more. 






Then was the Cologne Cathedral in Cologne. Some climb all the way up to the top of the tower. Lauren and I went up part way then went back down. While we waited for the rest of the group to finish, we went to the gift shop and then walked around the outside of the Cathedral. The inside was just as beautiful as the outside. I feel like I could wander around for ages and never see the whole Cathedral. It was an awesome way to end a day. When Lauren and I went to dinner we walked back by the Cologne Cathedral.  We had dinner in the train station. We explored the town a little more and then went back to look at the Cathedral again. Afterwards, we went back to the hotel, watched some television, and went to bed.











Final Day of the Excursion

We only had one stop on today before we got back to our apartments. That stop was the Magdeburg Central Cathedral. It was going through some restoration and some preparation for an event. The preparation for the event cause use not to be able to see the whole church. What we did see was gorgeous. It has the grave of Emperor Otto, which we got to see. There was also a memorial to the fallen of World War II.  They have services where they pray for peace, those serving and for all who have fallen in all war. On the pulpit, they have scenes from the Bible carved into it. They also have a room with the wise and foolish virgins. The foolish are on the same side as another sculpture that is blindfolded which represents the Jewish religion. On the other side is another sculpture that has a crown, which is for the Christian religion. This statue is associated with the wise virgins. After that, we head to the apartments. There was another stop but I had fallen asleep because I was feeling good so I missed it. We had dinner and watched the Euro Cup when we got back to the apartments. Then my roommates packed for their trip and I went to bed.











Weekend

I spent Friday just sleeping and resting. Saturday Lauren and I went back to the Berlin Zoo but this time we also went to the Berlin Aquarium. I then went back to my and apartment to watch the Euro Cup. Today we are going to go see some movies at the theater in the Sony Center.







No comments:

Post a Comment